Thursday, July 7, 2011

New Taste of India

I don’t profess to be an expert on Indian food. With that said, I will try to do my best. New Taste of India is a food cart with a massive menu at which most of their food takes almost as long to cook, as it is to pronounce. There is a solution! Offering of a lunch special from 10:30-3:30 every day will brighten the way. For 6 bucks you get your choice of a “meat” or “veggie” dish that offers the sizable portions and stylings of a sit down Indian restaurant. The dishes are premade and in your hands faster than you can say…erachi ullathiyathu. I love curry and typically there is plenty of curry to go around with each offering, even as it is a constantly shifting menu item.

After the dish enters your hands, this is where the problems begin to arise. Soon you find yourself opening up a plastic container that at fist glance looks awesomely packed full of delish food. Soon enough you find yourself picking through what is destined to be a scavenger hunt for tastiness. Often I find that it is hit and miss, the main dish it typically primo (chicken vindaloo is my favorite). The add-ons, not-so-much; Typically the box contains a fried meat patty thing and naan bread, which I often find are soggy, dry, or strangely, a little of both. Also curry ‘taters which India has taught me to love, often give me the impression that they have been sitting out for a little bit… Overall I would have to say that I love India food, am willing to eat Indian food from the New Taste on occasion, and more specifically am in a rush + carb hungry. AVOID THIS PLACE AT ALL COSTS if you are expecting an exquisite dining experience, you will be crippled with disappointment. This is quick/cheap Indian food that will satisfy most, on occasion will deliver the exceptional, more often than not delivering the acceptable.

Today's special: I cannot finish the naan bread, due to its inedible nature.

-Lance


Location:

SW 4th Ave, Portland Oregon

Located between Hall and College st

(Closer to Hall than College)

No comments:

Post a Comment