Thursday, July 7, 2011

The Real Deal Lebanese Food

If you feel like trying something other than your daily grinds and want to break away from the norms of Americanized versions of "the authentic". I suggest this most delicious food cart that I can't, for the life of me, get away from...like for the past three year(we're talking weekly and sometimes daily). Partially due to the fact that it is next to the Portland State University art building I've frequented on a daily bases. But more for the fact that it is so different from what I'm used to, which is exactly what I hear from other Downtown Portland City goer/patrons.

Ahla W Sahla, the real deal lebanese food cart is the spot and located on the corner of SW Fourth and College Ave., just after after the Budget Truck Rental store and on your left. This cart is run and owned by a man named Raymond Sabbagha, who never misses a day of work and has lived in the states for the past 40 years. He is from Lebanon and visits home every year and returns each time with enough authentic lebanese spices to last the year. Ensuring the quality control of this true lebanese flavor and dare I say...authentic cuisine. He makes everything from scratch, right down to his falafels, hummus, gyros, kabobs, and kafta.


Every time I visit this cart, I find many Middle-eastern exchange students who enjoy this food and state that it truly is one of their favorite food carts. I suggest to try the Beef Sharwarma or the Chicken Shich Tawook. Which comes in the form of a plate(my favorite and huge portions), a wrap(great for a quick eat), to a sandwich(I assume for the ones who can't completely dive into something unfamiliar). Just be curious and adventurous, try it once. You can't lose. Just ask Raymond what is good if you're not sure.

No comments:

Post a Comment